Tuesday, 2 February 2010

What, we have no water?

Today when I arrived home with Alana, Ann informed me that we had no running water. I thought this was a little odd as we had never anticipated that the water would need to be off to reseal the road, nor had we been informed it would be! So, I went out to investigate only to find the plumber wrestling with the water-main. On asking what the problem was I was told that when the street had been extended (some 23 years ago) and the bank (now our drive way) had been excavated the water-main had been left at too shallow a depth below the surface of the ground. At the time of this excavation the water-main had been damaged and a steel plate had been clamped over the damage pipe (see center bottom picture). During today's excavation the digger had caught on that plate and consequently ripped the pipe up. Apparently it was quite exciting for the guys working on the road!!

Now we have a water main that is above ground and one can see day light under the pipe that is slung across the end of the driveway. It will be interesting to see what the final fix is. I am glad to see that the projects of the professionals do not always go smoothly: my own DIY tends to hit more than a few snags and I used to think it was just me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Powered By Blogger