Saturday, 1 September 2007

Father's Day Weekend or 'Blair's Big Day Out!'


The day started with Alana telling me I was not allowed to make waffles this morning. This was because there would not be time for them to make me breakfast tomorrow with an early start for Church at 09:00. Back to bed I went to read more of Silkroad Riders. After a big feed of eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast, tomatoes and coffee I was well and truly fortified for a 26 km round trip from Motukarara to Birdlings Flat on the old Little River Rail Trail being developed here in Canterbury.

It was very exciting to be off road again and I was extremely grateful to my family for fuelling me up and letting me loose. The wind was at my back as I set off on the bike following the 25 minute drive from home. It was also down hill all-be-it imperceptibly. This meant that the return ride would be into a head wind and up hill and it sure was, the ride back took 20 minutes longer because of this.

The final shot on the right shows the road to Lake Wairewa at the Bayleys Road turn off to Birdlings Flat. It was magical country and we will have to go back and explore it more.

Part of the reason for the trip was to do a bit of reconnaissance and see if it would be suitable for the kids. It is a lot narrower and rougher than the Central Otago Rail Trail and passing is a little tricky, it is almost necessary to go off trail in parts to get past other cyclists. Also, the midges around the lake are HUGE and fly in "cloud" formation! Keeping ones mouth closed is essential as is not worrying about the number that land on you for a free ride!! I don't think the kids would have coped with them nor the head wind on the way back. Several times I was almost blown off the trail and had to ride on the right hand side and lean into the wind just to keep on track. It is very exposed. However, I think the shorter rides; Prebbleton to Lincoln and Birdlings Flat to Little River might be a better option for them.

2 comments:

David Berg said...

I am starting to feel a bit of blog-envy! Avoca Valley Life is looking very cool...and I won't even mention your Fathers' Day breakfast! it is great to see that you're all having fun.

Anonymous said...

hi, I'm impressed by the landscape and the adventurous lifestyle. Keep it coming, its great to see what you guys are up to.

Powered By Blogger